High School Equivalency (HSE)

There are many reasons why an adult may not have completed high school. We respect the different life paths that have led you to us.
Here, we hope you find all the information you need to help yourself or a loved one attain a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma!


What is High School Equivalency?

The High School Equivalency credential or HSE is an officially-recognized alternative to a high school diploma. There are two exams used in New Mexico to determine high school equivalency:

  • The General Educational Development (GED®) test

  • The High School Equivalency Test (HiSET®)

What is the difference between High School Equivalency and a high school diploma?

A high school diploma is what you earn when you take the traditional high school path and complete four years of coursework, typically as a teenager.

A high school equivalency credential, on the other hand, can be earned by adults and other non-traditional students without completing four years of traditional high school.

A high school equivalency credential can be used in the same way as a high school diploma: to apply for college admission or to put on a resume for the many jobs that require a high school education.  On average, Americans with a high school diploma OR equivalent earn $10,000 more per year than Americans without one of these credentials.

High School Equivalency preparation options in New Mexico

There are 26 Adult Education programs all around New Mexico just waiting to help you prepare for a high school equivalency test - and go beyond it.  Adult Education programs can also help you with career exploration and advancement, getting into college or job training programs, master the English language, and/or help you support your children's learning and education more effectively.  These free services are designed to meet each individual's personal education and career goals, so why not explore this option today?

Contact the High School Equivalency Administrator

If you need any information about High School Equivalency that you cannot find on our webpages, please contact Katya Backhaus, State High School Equivalency Administrator at katya.backhaus@hed.nm.gov or (505) 660-8824.